Ode to Georgia O'Keeffe


My mom is a huge fan of Georgia O'Keeffe's art work.  I was exposed at an early age to Ms. O'Keeffe's talent -- this book was on our coffee table for years....

And this framed poster hung over our couch in the living room.  I remember lying on the couch staring at it; the folds and the colors, the clouds that seemed so real...

Flitting around on the interwebs, I came across this article from Architectural Digest, celebrating Georgia O'Keefe on what would be her 125th birthday.
Revisiting their July 1981 article, the focus is on her home in Abiquiu, New Mexico.  
Ms. O'Keeffe says:
"When I first went there, it was only one house with one room—which had a ghost living in it, so everyone was afraid to come.
“However, when I took my pots and pans and moved them to Abiquiu, I knew that was now my home, even though I continue to return to Ghost Ranch each summer to paint, or whenever I can find an excuse to get there. When you start making a home, it is difficult to stop changing it, imagining it different. If I thought of building a house from scratch today, I would make it so simple that it would make most houses look like some kind of Chinese puzzle.” -Architectural Digest





























"Interior furnishings do not follow a particular style. Simple unpainted wooden beds were built especially, but other furniture represents years of collecting. With the exception of O’Keeffe’s work, there is little art. Among the art, however, is a Calder mobile over the living room fireplace and a Juan Hamilton sculpture."  -Architectural Digest























 "I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do." - Georgia O'Keeffe